190,000 miles.changing the head gaskett

I am having a head gasket and values job done.
Questions would changing out the water pump, timimg chain and chain sprocketswhile the engine is open.
any suggested would be appreciated.
My brother in law is doing the work but he is from another county and I can not communicate with him to the degree to say that I do not mind changing out some of the parts while the engine is open
[:o]

Bavauto

If this is a e36, the water pump should atleat be looked at. If its the plastic impeller type then change it. I wouldn't change the timing chain or sprockets unless those parts have visible wear on them. It is much more work to get the primary chain and components out. A few pointers is to replace the old style primary chain tensioner with the new style. the old style goes week in time and causes the timing components to get cranky and noisy. also if the valves are being fitting with retainers, use the hardened ones, they came on later e36's. check out the link on what parts to get and pointers. tell your bro that to follow the headbolt tightening sequence and torque stages. tell him to make sure to only torque the headbolts 80% of the 22 lbs. for the first half of stage one, then the second time around to give it the full torque of 22 lbs. Then he needs an angle torque gauge to torque them 90 degrees each stage. these are stretch bolts and can break in the head. very important. If its not done right, you may lose a headbolt down the road and thats bad. Besides that, have him put in new temp switches and replace any other worn parts.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/tech_main.htm