1993 318i speedometer, odometer,MPG gauge inop

Gear429

I have a 93 BMW 318i..Custom show car. little over 90k miles. Speedometer started fluctuating and then quit within a minute. Vehicle was shut off and restarted-speedo worked fine for two days. Fluctuation occurred again and quit all together. Noticed odometer was not working and at the time of fluctuation-fuel mileage gauge was also fluctuating, then tested the cruise-not working as well. All were not working for a couple of days. I replaced the Speed Sensor-no change. Inspected two prong and cleaned-no change. I have tried tapping the dash to check for a loose connection-no change. Every once in a while-all options will work fine on start up and work for a while-then all issues happen again. Or while driving-all of a sudden-they start working and then quit again. I have not pulled the cluster yet-I have not had that much time-have heard of several things it could be. Where is the best place to check the Speed sensor readings? And also, does anyone know where the wiring is ran? Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated. Have heard of cluster concerns and people replacing capacitors. It just seems like there is a wiring issue or connection causing the troubles. Thank you for your time and any input you can give me. Hopefully I will be able to pull the cluster this weekend-and also, is there any data stored in the cluster that I need to be careful when removing so information will not be lost. Update: since this was originaly posted-all gauges will work intermittently without rhyme or reason

Last edited: