1997 328is - issue with radio and windshield wipers

michmike

hi all,

i was wondering if someone in here can help me with an issue i am having with my 1997 BMW 328is. The engine is running great on the car, however the electrical system seems to have an issue.

Initially, my radio went off and stopped working. I checked the fuses and everything was good there, and even after i replaced a couple, this still did not work.

After a while, my windshield wipers stopped working too. For those, it seemed that the fuses were the same as the Radio. After I replaced the fuse, the windshield wipers work (the radio is still not working) for another hour and then the fuse breaks. The pattern of replacing the fuse and burning it off can happen every hour :)

So it seems that something is not right here and it is related to my Radio+windshield wipers electrical wiring. Every other electronic in the car seems to be fine.

Does anyone have an idea on how i can troubleshoot this myself or how i can even begin to troubleshoot it (Also, what could be wrong in cases like this). I asked some BMW shops around and they are giving me a quote of $100/hr to troubleshoot this, without giving me an estimate on how long it could take. They say it could take up to a couple of hours for them just to tell me what is wrong.

thanks in advance for your help.

Big Daddy

I would not think the radio and wipers would be fused together. It sounds like you may have a short in your electrical. The cars manual and or the fuse box lid should tell you what fuses are what and the amperage. Make sure you are using the correct fuses.

michmike

I would not think the radio and wipers would be fused together. It sounds like you may have a short in your electrical. The cars manual and or the fuse box lid should tell you what fuses are what and the amperage. Make sure you are using the correct fuses.
I did that and they are all correct. Does anyone know which relay could correctspond for the radio or the windshield wipers?

XxBMWxX

Help me too!

Hi everyone! I once had a username on this website but forgot the sites name long ago. Here I am again lol. I need some help. I have a 328 IS 1998 BMW and let it stay at a BMW dealer to be checked on. I have check every fuse with other Mechanics I know but don't really deal with radios in the past. Short Circuit is what i'm told. Now at the BMW dealer they claim it's the amplifier that's bad... Now, I'm young and all and I can't really understand this... Is this the reason why my radio won't turn on? I mean they want $740 bucks just to get the amp, and then $240 extra to work on it! In total they want $980... The car is great and I know BMW things cost, but still, this seems "fishy".