325i Tranny...

when i bought my car it shifted hard we thought different tranny since other things had been changed...now it seems to be missing a gear it could be low pn ATF but i heard its expensive to look and fill it...and then for them to tell me that my car is just shot anyway...im thinking about just going and buying a different car...how much would you say it cost to look at it and change it not at a dealer just guy...and yes not all regular joes can do it but i know one who can but he doesnt know a price so im looking to you guys!!

Big Daddy

You do not say how many miles are on the car, however a German car shop should be able to flush the transmission for $130.00 or less. I would not get a change of fluid I would get a flush. But remember too that automatics are know to fail when the mileage gets high.

oh i didnt know that i have 90,555.00 checked it today. so how much did u say a fllush was. would it be worth it to put a new tranny in it? how much would you say that would run?

thanks

Big Daddy

I would have it flushed, some people feel this will only make matters worse, but even if it does all you have done is delay the inevitible. A flush should run about $130.00, I guess you could start with a transmission fluid and gasket change (about $80.00) , that way the mechanic could see if there is metal, etc. in the fluid. First is the level up to the minimum mark? If not fill it with the proper fluid.

A rebuilt transmission for your car runs about $1100.00. Pelican Parts has the service kit for about $28.00.

Those are some suggestion, good luck,