325is tire pressure

000is

hey guys...newbie here (even tho i've been registered for awhile)...

just had some new Hankook Ventus V4ES tires installed on my '94 325is...size 215/45zr17.

problem is i'm not too sure what the tire pressure should be.

inflation guide for the stock factory e36 15" rims was 36psi but since upgrading to a 17" rim,
should the tire pressure increase to at least 90% of the max psi???

ie: ventus max psi=50 so am i to inflate to 45psi cold???

thanx for the help.

pingace08 at yahoo dot com

when in doubt, go with the manual based on tire size. that said, i think if u ask 10 ppl what's the ideal tire pressure, u'll get 10 different answers.

the general range is fairly wide- ie like u said anywhere from 35 to 50psi. so, how u inflate them really depends on (1) the type of roads u drive on and (2) how u like to drive.

i usually like to keep mine around 40 psi cold, because the ride seems firmer/ smoother, and i'm mostly driving on the freeway/ city streets. if u like to drive a lot of twisties, then u may want to go with slightly lower psi for better grip/ handling.

again, it's very subjective. if you're not sure- try out different settings and find one that you like. :)

000is

thanx for the input...

i was going with the Hankooks website suggested psi of 90%/45psi which sounds a bit much.
i guess i'll try inflating at ~40-42psi which is about 80% and see how the ride feels.

any other opinions or experiences?

go with what it says on the inside of your drivers door. do you think hankook knows what kind of car you have? let alone the weight distribution?