88 or 92

I'm ordering a bentley manual when I order the parts I need and therefore I cannot consult the manual on this one...yet.

m42 4cyl engine (1995 318is);

1. what degree thermostat to purchase? 88 or 92 degree? Does it matter? What's the difference?
2. Other than the thermostat and housing gaskets & coolant anything else I need to purchase?
3. Does brand matter?

I was going to get it off of autohausaz.com. I have seen several references to that website on this board; any place else I should look before ording parts?

Unrelated question: Is an "oil switch" the same thing as the oil solenoid (I don't know if I'm describing this part correctly)?

Thanks,
Sean

Big Daddy

Sean have you checked with Pelican Parts , they have a bunch of tech articles that are very helpful. Also check realoem.com for parts and part numbers. Realoem lists only the 82c thermostat, so I believe that one is factory stock. Do not forget the O'ring and gasket. Are you replacing a water pump? Use only BMW coolant.

The oil pressure switch is on the filter housing, see number 12 above.

I believe my water pump was already replaced...at least it is written in the mantainence book (at 60k miles). Well past 130K now. While I have the thermostat out and the fluid drained, should I go ahead and replace the waterpump? It's only $50-60 more. Would it be worth it to replace it?