93 318is hesitation and loss of power

Just recently bought my first BMW, a 1993 318is 5-speed with 89,000 miles. Overall I like the car, but performance wise it needs some help. The car seems to skip or hesitate around 1000-2500 RPMS (Neutral or in gear) and smoothes out after 2500 RPM. Also, the car loses power when I need to accelerate, like merging on the highway. It sounds like it’s struggling for air/fuel and totally goes nowhere (coughs and stutters) unless I back off the throttle and gently apply pressure to the gas. I changed the fuel filter, air filter and spark plugs (Bosch plat 4) and the problem still persists. Anyone have a clue? Help is appreciated.[driving]

Wow! I was going to suggest all the things you just replaced! Have you tried Injector cleaner? (I'm assuming you buy 93 octane from a recognised brand) Also-don't get gas when you see tanker filling your stations tanks-stirs up ALL kinds of sh#t!
Wish you luck-sorry I couldn't help-let us know what you learn from this-we're all in it together!
-Mel

cjrestaino said:
Just recently bought my first BMW, a 1993 318is 5-speed with 89,000 miles. Overall I like the car, but performance wise it needs some help. The car seems to skip or hesitate around 1000-2500 RPMS (Neutral or in gear) and smoothes out after 2500 RPM. Also, the car loses power when I need to accelerate, like merging on the highway. It sounds like it’s struggling for air/fuel and totally goes nowhere (coughs and stutters) unless I back off the throttle and gently apply pressure to the gas. I changed the fuel filter, air filter and spark plugs (Bosch plat 4) and the problem still persists. Anyone have a clue? Help is appreciated.[driving]
Man that sounds exactly like the problem I had with my 92 325i! I changed spark plugs, 02 sensor and it still did it very bad...I decided to let the pros have a stab at it, so I took it to a reputable european repair shop here where I live and come to find out the connector that goes onto each spark plug from the coil was corroded on each coil! So instead of replacing the costly coils, all 6 new boots were like 11 a piece...I go to pick it up this afternoon so I will let you know how it turns out...I don't know if the 318 is the same as far as having a coil per spark plug...

Well, here's what it was (as per the mechanic). Spark plugs (Bosch Plat 4's) were not compatible with the ignition system (replaced again), the ignition wires were bad (replaced), 1 or 2 coils are failing because of the bad wires and need to be replaced (didn't do it yet) and the pin connections on the computer were corroded (especially the ones for the igintion). I also had to replace the right rear wheel bearing. Total bill $1,100. So much for Christmas this year. I haven't picked up the car yet, if it still has issues I will report back to all.

yikes. 1100$$$.

you shoulda bought the parts and done it yourself, or had a friend do it for ya.

sparkplugs - 20 bucks for 4 maybe(20 is expensive for 4)
ignition wires - 100$ (thats how much the were for my other car, and those were 8.5mm "upgrade" wires(from 8.0mm))
pin connections...i woulda tried the wire wheel.
as for the wheel bearing, i dunno how much that woulda cost individually.

labor = TOO MUCH!

tell them you'll give em 10 bucks for the labor.

Tell me about it. The wheel bearing installed was $325. This is the last time I use this guy. Especially since I told him prior to anything being done that I was on a budget. I told him not to touch the coils, I'll figure them out on my own. As for the rest, I was unfortunately in Chicago while they worked on my car, my cellphone reeption was horrible in the convention center, so they fixed my car as they saw fit. Never again. Picking the car up this morning on my way to work, and I will be letting them know the lost the rest of my business over these prices.

toopriddy

I had the same hesitation problem from 1000-2000 RPM (it was easily reproducable by starting off in 2nd gear)

I replaced the Breather Hose Connector at Valve Cover, it was $5.50 (It was really the o-ring that needed to be replaced, but the plastic breather connector broke when I was going to replace the o-ring)

All of the forums that I have looked in have suggested replacing things that are > $50, This worked for me and was a cheap fix

DSK

A bit late getting to this thread but having seen what you have changed (the obvious stuff) I was going to say then start off by having a look at all of your ignition components. Your garage is doing this but heck, $1100 is outer space!!!

Spark Plugs = £10/15
Ignition/HT Leads = roughly £80-£100
Coils - not sure which coils you are referring to (but spark plug coils are quite dear at roughly £100 per coil)
Rear Wheel Bearing £20

Labour should be around £80-£120 for the lot

(apologies for the £ instead of $ )

I'd recommend that the garage just does the ignition stuff and that you get the wheel bearing done elsewhere!