96 328i brake light problem

ZachNiles

sorry if the answer to this is somewhere else, but I couldnt find my exact problem.

I just got my new to me 96 328i and I am blowing out brake lights like crazy, 3 in 2 weeks... there is definatly a problem but I cant think of what it is... any thoughts?

also I am going to have to replace my shocks, any reccomendations?

1. your brake lights, is it the same bulb or did all three go out around the same time? i had this happen actually, my left and my right brake light went out within a week of eachother, needless to say i was very impressed by the tight variance in the bulbs. if its the same one, then check to see that the little thing you clip the bulb into clips firmly against the metal pieces in the taillight housing itself, i thought i blew two bulbs in one light within a week and i couldn't figure it out, but then i saw that due to heat/age the plastic had warped a bit, i re-seated the connection and it worked fine

2. shocks. depends if you want OEM or not. If you like the way your bmw looks and rides stock, just replace everything with original equipment. now if you want to improve the ride and stance of the car an aftermarket suspension is a good option. think long and hard about this, because this is a PERFECT time to upgrade to something cool, i mean OE stuff is not going to be much cheaper. My car has the Koni Sport kit (shocks/springs) and I love it. It rides nice, the stance is much much better, and it performs like a dream. it also looks "natural." i've had many people say that the car "looks like it was made to look" with my new suspension.

ask and we shall answer (or try), welcome to the site

ZachNiles

It is just the left brake light that is out, and it is definatly blown (the bulb is black...)

also, just one week to the day after I started driving my car it threw 6 out of the 10 fan blades and punctured my radiator... I have done quite a bit of work on engines in the past, would replacing the radiator and fan be something that I should try or would taking it to a bmw mechanic be the best bet?

well, you sort of know if you can or cannot do the work yourself. figure out what caused the fan to break first, mine did the same when my waterpump seized, it was a chain reaction of events.

The counter tech at my local BMW dealer told me once that they see a lot of melted bulb holders in E36s, and that the poor connection can subsequently cause bulbs to fail. He said that they have NEVER seen it with a BMW factory bulb, and they believe that US aftermarket bulbs run hotter/draw more current, causing this problem.

If you have ever replaced a water pump and radiator in another car, you can do the BMW. It helps ALOT to have the Bentley service manual. The only real hassle is getting the fan nut loose.