Automatic transmission E36 318is

I have a 1993 318is with the transmission warning light that is driving me crazy. I can start this car in the mornings and the light is on. Of course the safety feature kicks in (stays in 3rd gear only) I have drained and replaced filters, and fluid, and it's still doing it. I looked at the transmission when we drained the fluid, there nothing, no sign of metal foreign objects in the old fluid. Now what drives me crazy is when the car warms up, for say 15-20 minutes, I can kill the ignition, restart the car, and more often than not, the light goes off, and the transmission works perfect....Help?[?|]

BMW 320i SE AUTOMATIC TRASMISSION PROBLEM

I have a BMW 320SE (E36) and I face a problem with the automatic gearbox.
APPARENTLY WE FACE THE SAME PROBLEM...!

The fault that appears on the computer at the garage is ’54 Converter Clutch/Drive Position Sw’.
When I drive the car and I push the accelerator, the gearbox does not rise gear,
the car kicks hard, the yellow light appears on the dashboard, which is related to the gearbox,
comes out and ultimately the gearbox can't change gear. The gear is fixed.
I assume that it is the 3rd. This means that if the car is stopped,
it starts to roll with the 3rd gear instead of the 1st.

Does anybody know the nature of the problem?
Does anybody know if it's gonna cost me lots of money?
Do anybody know what I have to do?
Can I fix it alone without going to a garage?

Regards,

Ioannis VAGIAS

I'm going to put it on a computer, but I have thought about just going ahead and replacing the transmission module, just to see if it fixes the problem. Talked to a cert BMW mechanic yesterday, and he said the best thing going for me is the light at least goes off. You may be correct it may be just the sensor...we'll see
thanks

BMW Swindon suggested that I sholuld check the color and quality of the automatic transmission fluid. If it's black and has oil residues I must change the gearbox. But when I talked about the computer fault code, BMW suggested that might be only the automatic gear box temperature sensor.

ya know i have the same problem with mine in the mornings when it is cold only i dont get a light, its like its in 2nd or 3rd gear and does'nt like to go ,. once it is warm it is fine.

That's exactly what happens to me as well. Did you find out anything more interesting about it? What does the computer tell you about the gearbox? What's the diagnosis?