Auxillary Belts Replacement???

Hi there,
I had an oil change done yesterday and they said I needed to change my Auxillary belts (the two belts that control the a/c, alternator, power steering). He said that it'd cost $175 for the job, is that a good price? He says they're cracked badly and need to be replaced.

Can anyone post a picture showing me where these two belts are located, so I can see them for myself?

Seems they always tell me something is 'wrong' with my car, but I don't always believe them and nothing has ever gone wrong. The told me almost a year ago that I had to change my powersteering rack ($1500 job), but I still have not, and I don't see any leaks or any problems in my power steering or any noises either when i turn the streering wheel, so I don't believe them anymore when they say something NEEDS to be changed. [???1]

Anyway, a picture or description of where I can view the belts would be much appreciated. Can yuo view them from the hood, or does the car have to be jacked up?

Big Daddy

Look under your hood at the belts, if they are cracked and worn they need replacing. Here is a link to Pelican Parts Tech article on belt replacement.

Your power steering rack can be leaking and you not know if it is filling the boot with P/S fluid. You will not know until the boot cracks, breaks or splits. If you drive with low or no power steering your going to ruin your PS Pump. Have you checked the fluid to see if it is low?

I too would question my dealer and cannot fault you for that, but check the items yourself or get a second opinion to be sure.

Look under your hood at the belts, if they are cracked and worn they need replacing. Here is a link to Pelican Parts Tech article on belt replacement.

Your power steering rack can be leaking and you not know if it is filling the boot with P/S fluid. You will not know until the boot cracks, breaks or splits. If you drive with low or no power steering your going to ruin your PS Pump. Have you checked the fluid to see if it is low?

I too would question my dealer and cannot fault you for that, but check the items yourself or get a second opinion to be sure.

Thanks for your reply Big Daddy.
Yeah, that's what they said that the boot was filling with p/s fluid, he poked it to show me although i don't know how he canknow how much fluid is in there. I have checked the fluid level and it's always been full, I've never added to it.

I asked my 'regular' mechanic that usually does the work on my car and he said it's common to have SOME fluid in the boots.

This place that told me I need to replace it 8 months ago is probably trying to find something wrong with my car to make money off me. I got an oil change promotion with them for the 1st 100 people to respond, it's LIFETIME SYNTHETIC oil changes for $299 three times per year (can only go in January, April and September and they use all genuine bmw parts). So that was a no brainer. So I just go there for oil changes and a free hand wash. haha.

I'll have to check out the belts though...thanks

Big Daddy

The boots should have no fluids in them, the steering box is sealed and if the seals are going it leaks oil into the boot, but ideally there should be no oil in the boot.

From "Griffiths"; "My power steering rack's boots are full of fluid. Can't I just replace the boot? Sorry. No. It won't work. The fluid leaked into the boot because the shaft seal or lower pinion seal failed. The boot is only designed to keep dust, dirt and water out of the rack. The pressure in the steering system can reach up to 110 bar ( one bar equals about 14.5 psi) or 1595 psi. Since the atmosphere around you and the rack is only about 14.7 psi and the pressure coming out of the rack is so much greater, replacing the boot will not solve the problem. It's only a matter of time before the fluid fills up the boot all the way and leaks out of the boot. The solution is to replace the rack and you might as well put on a fresh set of boots while you are at it."

$299.00 for an oil change, holy cow, I do my own with Mobil One, 7qts, and a Mahle filter, total price about $35.00, that's 8.5 oil changes for me at $299.00!

The boots should have no fluids in them, the steering box is sealed and if the seals are going it leaks oil into the boot, but ideally there should be no oil in the boot.

From "Griffiths"; "My power steering rack's boots are full of fluid. Can't I just replace the boot? Sorry. No. It won't work. The fluid leaked into the boot because the shaft seal or lower pinion seal failed. The boot is only designed to keep dust, dirt and water out of the rack. The pressure in the steering system can reach up to 110 bar ( one bar equals about 14.5 psi) or 1595 psi. Since the atmosphere around you and the rack is only about 14.7 psi and the pressure coming out of the rack is so much greater, replacing the boot will not solve the problem. It's only a matter of time before the fluid fills up the boot all the way and leaks out of the boot. The solution is to replace the rack and you might as well put on a fresh set of boots while you are at it."

$299.00 for an oil change, holy cow, I do my own with Mobil One, 7qts, and a Mahle filter, total price about $35.00, that's 8.5 oil changes for me at $299.00!
hmm...well I haven't noticed any decrease in power steering level in the reservoir. Do you think it's ok until I notice something significant? I asked one of the mechanics and he said it won't hurt any other parts, and I'll notice when it really needs to be replaced when it starts making noise when I turn and it's hard to steer. What do you think?

I think I explained the oil change thing wrong or you misunderstood it. I paid $299, but it's for 3 oil changes per year as long as I own the car. So I never have to pay for another oil change for the life of the car... (as long as this place stays in business, which it has been in business for 20 years already...)