Brake job HELP!!!

JunzieB

Ok i just got a set of rotors drilled and slotted for my 97 328i along with the pads. brought em to my mechanic he fitted them and i drove away but i had to go back because the brakes aren't grabbing like they should be. he suggest that i have to wear the pads and rotors in so i should dive it around a bit but i'm not sure about that any suggestions.

Several things to think about, Dan's comment about bedding in is really important.

My comments, some of this is touched on in Dan's excellent article:
- You need to realize that by purchasing slotted and drilled rotors you have actually REDUCED your braking power. Yes! This is because you have reduced the rotor's surface area available for the pads. Not a lot, but it IS enough to make a difference.

- What kind of pads did you buy? Stock BMW pads are very soft (that's one reason they are so dirty) and they bite really well. If you bought performance pads, they may have a higher temperature rating, tougher compound, etc. all of which can REDUCE your braking power. If you bought ceramic pads, this will be especially true.

It will get a little better after bedding in properly, but you may have unintentionally purchased a setup that results in reduced braking power in street conditions.

JunzieB

Thanks for the advice guys, They were actually performance pads and yes i did purchase them thinking that they actually add to the braking power. I guess i learnt the hard way LoL