Brakes

epj3

Yea crossdrilled isn't worth it, slotted is fine if you want. Are you getting axxis ultimates? I hear the other axxis pads are worthless.

Big Daddy

I can get Zimmerman Sports (crossed drilled), even though I do not recommend them for $70.00 each every day (free shipping) so in effect you are paying $54.00 for the pads...all in all not a great bargian!

ATE or Brembo's are about $50.00 each for standard rotors from the same place.

epj3 said:
Are you getting axxis ultimates? I hear the other axxis pads are worthless.
Yeah, I have the Axxis Deluxe pads on my E30. I do not recommend them. While they are fine for everyday driving and produce very little dust, they fade BAD when driving the car moderately hard. With only a little bit of hard use, they become mushy and unresponsive. I have no experience with the Axxis Ultimate pads, but I have been contemplating switching mine out for the Ultimates. Just take it from me - do NOT buy the Axxis Deluxe pads.

epj3

sinisterE36 said:
whats wrong with cross drilled rotors?
arent they supposed to perform better than slotted?
Technically yes, but they aren't made for long time use. I mean there ARE holes drilled in what was cast as a solid piece of steel...

You would be better off finding rotors that are truly vented, or slotted. Crossdrilled save a bit of weight, but you can always buy aluminum rotors which should dissipate heat better, too. You should also invest in brake ducting for your car before buying expensive rotors whose aparent advantage isn't really measureable. I had Pagid red compounds on my e30 with stock rotors and ATE racing fluid, and I beat the living shit out of that thing. Never had brake fade!

Big Daddy

"Many asked about the cross drilled rotors and how they help cool the brake system. Well here is the short answer, air cools them, and without ducting running to your brake discs they are hardly more effective than your standard ventilated disc. The slotted rotors are for gassing, when the pads reach their operating temps or higher they start to gas or breakdown and the slots are there to allow the gas to escape.

So what cross drilled rotors do is reduce suface area decrease co-efficient of friction and are more prone to thermal shock, and cracking unless, you have a specialized braking system using, special brake fluid, stainless steel brake lines, venting all the necessary items to aid in convection"

Braking Basics

siXtring

So, Slotted rotors is where its at. Anybody recommend a place to get the best deal? Brembos or what?

Pads also: I've heard Pagid's aren't the box they come in. Are the Green Stuff's worth the money?