Buying an E36

cbrider8

Hey everyone im really new to this site, and i need some help. Ive been a big fan of the E36 3 series for a while, mainly the M3 but just the car in general. There aren't any around where i live for sale, or so i thought. My dads friend is selling a 96 328is. Ive seen it once its pearl white with an M3 style body kit and M3 style wheels. Engine is stock except for a performance exhaust, and the engine bay is cleaner than some new cars ive seen. Hes a chilled out guy doesnt drive it hard, just alot, so it has 150,000 miles on it. My question is how well do these cars hold up, is 150 alot for this car cuz i have a chevy blazer with 160,000 miles on it and runs great without alot of maintenance. He'll sell it to me for 5500, my main question is should i buy it or will i be payin for it later.

Thanks for any help...

i have 163k on my 328is, runs like a champ. if the body is semi- straight, the water pump replaced, and all the routine maintenance done you should be fine. rear subframes crap out if the car has been rodded to hell, and look for interior issues.

good luck, ask away if you have questions

My 96 328i has 196000 miles and running strong. Replaced the original clutch at 178000 so the one you're looking at may need one soon. Suspension is probably tired too. They're pretty dependable but when something goes wrong it can get expensive. I'd count on getting 4 snow tires too if it doesn't already come with them. I like the M3 too but I'm glad I got the 328--it's cheaper to maintain and it has all the performance I need 99% of the time. $5500 seems like a fair price. You might want to spend $50 and have a mechanic check it out for peace of mind.

cbrider8

Thanks for the reassurance. The guy said that he had routine maintenance throughout the cars life, and hes a friend of the family so ill take his word. And i wouldnt be running the car all the time, especially rough winter days, id pretty much use it for fun haha, or until my blazer has anything critical break on it. Again thanks for the help i should have the car by mid to end of the month when i get the cash together and ill post some pics of my new ride.