Car wont start. Help!

hewesdl1

I have a 1991 535i that recently got a "oil press sensor" light. My oil level is ok but the car won't start. It cranks but won't start. I'd like to try and fix it myself. Can anybody tell me their experiences with this problem and where to look to find the sensor itself so I can try cleaning it. Thanks.

You may have better luck posting this in the 5 Series forum. I believe the 3.5L is a V8; I could be wrong, but I think it is.

If the engine is cranking, but won't fire, I don't think the problem is related to insufficient oil pressure. If it's making funky clanking-metal noises during crank then it's probably related, but if it's a normal crank, I don't believe they are related.

Is your Oil Pressure light on? Or is the sensor the problem? If you have low oil pressure you made need a new oil pump or something else.

good luck, Sorry I couldn't be more help!

Welcome to the board!

Sean

hewesdl1

I appreciate your response. All indications are the oil pressure switch is bad but I can't find it to test it or jump it. I discovered that when the oil press sensor light comes on it causes the fuel pump circuit to open so the car cranks normally but with no gas to the fuel injection it won't start. My main problem is locating the switch and being able to identify it. Thanks for any help. dh