Changing stereo such a headache???

Hi, I have a 1998 328is with the stock stereo and 6 disc change in the trunk.

I went to the stereo shop to find a car stereo that plays mp3/cd-r/cd-rw and they said that a wiring harness to hook up the 6 speakers (since all the stereos are just 4 channel), costs $59 which sounds kind of expensive, but said they would do the install for free though for the headunit and wiring harness (which is normally $40).

And that they can't connect the headunit to the factory cd changer due to the plug being different. Is that right?

Yes it is that much

I work at a stereo shop and I am familliar with your problem. Yes the harness will cost that much however they are making alot off of it so you might be able to talk them down 10 or 15 dollars (accessories have a lot of margin) but they are installing your unit for free so I would not bother. As far as the stock changer goes, well again they are right there is no wire or harness that will allow you to use that if you switch to an aftermarket stereo. If you really want an aftermarket stereo you will not find any sort of deal better than the one you have unless you install it yourself and look around on the internet for a cheaper harness but beware that the cheaper the harness the less quality it is. Not all harnesses are created equally.