Cold weather starts

Okay, last couple of weeks it's been cold. SIngle digits and teens. When I start it up in the morning, I hear a tapping-ish /slapping noise at idle. Goes away after the engine has run for about a minute. Usually less than a minute. And if I give it a slight amount of gas (2k) goes away after 10 seconds.

Could it the oil is too thick? It's got fully syn 5w30. It's been that cold before and I've never heard that problem. But I do not know what oil was used in my car previously; I know syn, but I don't know whether 10w30 or 5w30 or 5w40. I went by what the book recommended. Eh. Any suggestions?

Sounds like valve train tolerance (valve lash). Since metal shrinks when cold, maybe the valve train is "loose" when it's really cold. When it's warmer outside, or the engine warms up, things tighten up. Just an educated guess. I don't think I'd be too concerned. A valve adjustment might clear it up.

I understand from reading other similar threads that this could be one of three things:
1) Timing chain tensioner(s)
2) VANOS
3) Hydraulic lifters (if you have them?)

Here's what's happening (At least what I think):
Your lifters are Hydraulic; the oil is what acts as a cushion when the lifter is actuated by the cam. This "cushion" is what makes the valve train quiet. When you see these really cold temps, the oil is soooo thick it takes longer for the lifters to fill up w/oil so you're not getting the cushioning affect as quick as normal. Like Big Daddy Said, just take it easy until your up to normal operating temperature.

HTH. [cheers]