Cup Holders????

OK what's up with these cupholders. [screwy]
I am new to Beemers so maybe you know something i don't. Even at ten years old this is still a well engineered car but what the heck were those wacky Germans thinking when they put the cup holders under the arm rest?
Can this console be turned around so a guy can actually use one for a road pop?

drinking on the autobahn is not a good idea. it's the ultimate driving machine...not the ultimate dining machine. Still, you're right...they suck.

siXtring

Yeah, I think Germans are totally oposed the idea of drinks in the car, you'll have to get a chevy truck or something if you want a car made with the giant cupholders that fit the biggies from 7-11. The one's in mine are moveable: you squeeze the side and pop it out and you can rearrange where the cupholders, coin slot, ash tray.

Hi diksmack,
BMW finally fixed that design shortcoming a few years ago with cupholders that pop-out from the dash and others under a slide-back console cover. Those look to be effective. (See above post from siXtring,) Not sure if they're on all E46's or just the later models. Be nice if we could figure out a way to retrofit them to our E36's.
I once asked about retrofitting steering wheel radio controls to my 328ic ... thousands of dollars!