drivers side brake light out

77vetteguy

just bought a 1992 bmw 318i with a drivers side brake light out. i cant figure out why. it has aftermarket taillights i belive. i know there not original but they look stock. i tried switching the sockets to see if the contacts were the problem but that didnt help. so i know they arnt corroded or anything like that. and i dont think contact is the problem. although maby the metal contact point is messed up or somthing? the sockets that you plug in are fine. i have no idea but maby a fuse controlls that one brake light. any ideas?

DSK

If all the contacts etc appear to be ok visually, have you tried changing the brake light bulb when you swapped the sockets/bulb holders over? Alternatively I'd try to trace the fault using a multimeter device to see if that highlights anything.

(Strangely enough, quite a few folks in the UK here tend to suffer from blown bulbs on a regular basis but the problem has always been solved by using a high quality bulb, it doesn't have to be expensive, just a decent brand like 'philips' or 'ring' rather than the cheap 90pence ones. There is a significant difference in the fillament between the low and high quality bulbs too.)

I actually had the same problem. I took it to a BMW mechanic and he actually CLEANED the sockets(where the bulb sits, and screws into the light), and it solved the problem. Try that, if not i would replace the sockets themselves.