e36 318i 1996 1st gear woes

benny

Ok here goes, i recently got a good deal on a 318i 1996, BUT ... im having a few problems and wonder if anyone might have experienced similar things, firstly, the steering wheel sometimes sticks, have to turn quite hard to loosen it up and steer, almost as tho there is a loss of power steering or sticking in the steering column, tho this only happens when turning left, but heres my main problem, in first gear and to some extent in second the car 'judders' while pulling away, thru the rev range in 1st gear there are maybe 3 points at which the car jerks forward meaning that i have to rev very hard just to pull away at all, the jerking/juddering of the engine shifts the weight of the car backward and then forwards during 1st gear meaning that i have to catch the weight shift forward to change gear if im pulling away quickly. i have a manual gearbox with a reasonably recent clutch change, new spark plugs and leads. Im fearing an expensive trip to the car shop... .. hoping someone might know a little of this. cheers in advance. [:(]

Hi Benny,

Are you from the Caraudiodirect forum?? I have a similar problem on my beemer. I jus realised you have posted something as well. My car is jumping in 1st gear when I pull away fast but seems fine when I pull away slowly?? Its like its got kangaroo juice in it. Does yours only do it when you pull away fast?

Russ

benny

I havent been on the car audio forums nope, the problem with my car is definately much worse when im pulling away quickly, when im pulling away quickly its either going to go one way or the other, im either gonna have to really rev the car up and ride the clutch to pull away, or its gonna jump to hell and bounce around :( [driving] .. If i get reply in other forums (or take it to the garage, which i'm fearing0 ill let you know whats said. ben

Yer sounds like we have the same problem?? Very weird. When I pull away slowly it seems to be fine. I might have to take mine into the garage too. I will let you know the damage, where abouts do you come from?

benny

just outside birmingham dude, so far ive had this reply on other board..

"was the clutch seated propperly when it was installed? It sounds a lot like an engagement issue more than an engine issue, or else I would think it would do regardless of gear.. ".

hmmm

My bm has developed a similar sounding problemjust over the past 3-4 days. when i gas it in 1st it bounces/jerks through the revs approx 1000rpm a time, just asif its got kangaroo juice in it. me and my two mates have got our heads together andc come up with gearbox problems, gearbox mounts snapping, air flow meter problems, worn clutch etc etc. really can't seem to put a finger on it so gunna take it to my proper mechanic sometime this week to see what he says. but if any of you get a answer b4 then please feel free to email me at alexrm2502002@aol.com. Thanks