E36 328i Blue Smoke on Startup

PICPower

i've just become the proud owner of an E36 1997 328i, my first ever BMW [hihi]

Upon startup there is a cloud of blue smoke that bellows out of the exhaust. When revving the engine when parked up i don't get any smoke at all. I've only had the car for 24 hours so i've not got anyone to drive behind me yet but i can't see any smoke through the rear view mirror. It doesn't seem to smoke on startup if the cars has been stood for a short time but if left for a few hours the blue smoke appears again.

Any ideas guys?

I second Justin's comment. Not a killer problem, just a bit higher oil consumption and the minor possibility of fouling plugs and carbon build up in the cylinders. Checking and if necessary, changing the plugs every 10K miles would be a good idea.

Not necessarily the dealer, but there's probably a mechanic, even in a Galaxy Far, Far Away, that has a good reputation with BMW's. Pin your location down a little more and someone on the forum may have a good recommendation.

The cam must be removed to change valves/valve seals. There is a special tool and procedure recommended by BMW to remove & install the cam, they claim it can be warped by simply unbolting it, the usual procedure. The tool basically puts pressure on the bearing caps while the bolts are removed, and the tool rotates to slowly and evenly release the pressure the length of the cam.

Assuming you buy into BMW's warnings, ask your mechanic if he has the camshaft eccentric tool. If he looks at you like [8] [scratch] you probably should go somewhere else.

I suspect that some people have done it by loosening the bolts a bit at a time down the camshaft, without the tool, and no ill effects, but if the cam IS damaged, you just spent another $1000 for a new one....your call.