E36 to E46 front end conversion??

okay i am thinking about converting the front of my car to make it look more like an e46 bimmer. im not going to necessarily be doing all of the work myself but i was just wondering what all you think would be needed to make this conversion work. i know its been done before many times and i think it looks awesome when it is done. basically all i know is im going to need a new hood that has the grill as part of the hood and new headlights. please just tell me whatever it is you know about a conversion like this. thanks!!
deven

Keep it looking like an e36. You should upgrade to an e36 M3 front bumper instead. If you want your car to look like an e46 BMW then you should buy an e46. If you ask me it is not worth the hassel and does not look all that good anyway. You are going to end up paying a grip of money to make the conversion anyway. But, that is just my opinion.

I have to agree with the other guys, I wouldn't dress it up to look like an E46. Body work like that is kinda frowned upon in my book, i'd stick with TCGrays reccomendation of getting E36 M3 areos of some sort. I know some tuners make eyebrow kits for your headlights that look kinda neat. Or you could get a set of angel eyes. But plz don't try to make your E36 look like an E46.

alright wow strong opinion. after reading what you guys said i dont think im gonna worry about doing it any more. i have a reiger kit on my car right now so that makes it look pretty good. thanx for all of your opinions thats what i love about this board!

deven

carcus

1000 Post Club
Save your money, will not be cheap. Would not look as bad as everyone says, you could do it....but the fabrication and paint would not be worth it. Just my 2 cents.[thumb]

Keep it as is

I agree with you guys. The e36 has a cool look to it that is totally unique, you don't want to make it something that its not. I got the DTM style front spoiler from http://www.electrodyne.cc/ for my e36 yellow M and had it painted the same color. (The pics they have suck b/c it is a different color thant the car) It looks really sweet and actually improves performance.

devon,

I would have to disagree with the general concenus here with reason. I just got a line on a new product today, that not only looks good on the e36, but it is also stronger, and lighter than any orginal OEM bumper assembly.

As you guys already know, BMW uses urethane, and ABS plastic for most of their cosmetic pieces. This bumper is a dual-sided pressure molded composite, the complete bumper weighs only 10 lbs, and comes complete with fog light kit and aluminum grill mesh.

This is the same product the MA Shaw sells direct to BMW for their competition race cars, and many other professional teams, so you can be assured of its quality. The bumper was designed to combine the lines of the e36 with the e46 M3 spoiler. I think they have done a beautiful job.

MA Shaw Price: $725 + tax (for CA residents) and shipping.
Custom 3 Price: $599.95 + tax, Shipping $50 to anywhere in the continental US.

We also have light-weight hoods (12 lbs) that bolt directly to the factory hinges, rear deck lids (bolt-on, 5 lbs), complete light-weight doors (7 lbs each), LTW-style functional wings...etc.

If anyone else is interested in these items for their street or track car, a group buy is certainly possibly to lower the prices even further.

If anyone is interested in any of these items, please let me know. Any feedback would also be great.

The hood are manufactured in the same manner as the bumpers and doors. They are constructed in compression mold for superior strength and durability. They are made of composite materials to make them super light. The full hood bolts right up to the existing hinges that are already on the car, and is designed to be a perfect fit. The hood comes with a gel coat, so all you need to do is have a body shop paint it.

The hoods are approximately 12 pounds.

MA Shaw Price: $750 plus tax and shipping
Custom 3 Price: $674.95 plus tax and shipping

If you're serious about making your car lighter, these products are definitely the way to go. While they appear to be expensive...you get exatly what you pay for.

mylo

e46 front end conversion for e36

346 front end conversions for e36 can be obtained from a german company the details are as follows
:www.kfz-rossbach.de, the site is in german for obvious reasons, only putting this up for people who might be looking for this conversion from this date.

Last edited: