Help with Check Engine Code

It's official - I'm an idiot. A couple of weeks ago, I was reading the code upside down. I thought it was a 63 and could find no such code. The correct code is E9, which reads, "Catalyst efficiency below threshold, Cyl #1-3". Someone please tell me that means "time for a tune-up."

Any second opinions? If it turns out to be the cat, would the recommendation be to go with performance exhaust or are they just from the cat to the tailpipe?

I agree, bad cat or O2 sensor. I would change the O2 sensors first, they are alot cheaper than a cat replacement. And if they have never been replaced, it's probably time anyway.

A performance exhaust (a "cat back") is just that. Cats/downpipe are a separate assembly, unless you whack and hack aftermarkets in the existing downpipe.

O2 sensors are not cheap($145 to 165 each). If the CAT is putting out the code then one or both are bad. Replacement is costly if you go to a dealership. I bought mine via bavauto.com and took it to a muffler shop near by. Aside from the cost of the CAT's the labor charge was $100.00 as i assisted in the R&R of the old ones. Note: you will have to use anything that will create a dome above the bank 2 rear O2 sensor to allow clearance of the O2 wires. Also, the twin tubes are 2 inches short on the bank 1 side. Your Muffler shop will have to do a "splice" to connnect to the muffler.

Hope i didn't discourage you with the upcoming project.

As for your question: the CAT's connect to the muffler. I have an RMS muffler which is quite loud. Pending on the age of your muffler (and your bugget) you might want to change it also. You might want to change out the muffler (rubber) brackets all along the exhaust system (including the muffler).