Help with custom induction kit

328neil

Hi hoping some of you can help me out here [:I]

Im gonna make a custom induction setup for my 96' 328i Sport. I have a K&N cone filter already but what im looking to do is once the standard airbox is removed im planning to have the filter coming down behind the headlamp lower down than where it sits already so it should get some air forced in from the bumper ducts.

What i need to know is what is the size of hose that would be required to fit to the Air Mass meter? Once i know that i can order a pipe

Any help appreciated [:D]

bimanut

placing the cone any lower down than the original air box might not be too good an idea,because if you have it too far you run the risk of sucking in water if the weather is a typical british weather (really wet.)wich in turn could cause problems with the senser in the air meter as it doesnt like water much.if you remove the original air box and place your cone as far behind the light as possible and use the original duct that attaches to the air box to feed cold air to the cone.if you attach a hose to the air meter and feed a hose to the cone.not sure what size pipe you would need,just measure the air meters inlet pipe and you will get the size of diameter pipe you will need.it also worth thinking about making a sheild to box the cone in to keep away some of the warm air from the engine.hope this maybe of some help. [thumb]

328neil

Slight update on this. Measured up the inlet side of the air mass meter and ordered a pipe yesterday [:D] Hopefully see it tomorrow

Once i have a test fit of the pipe i'll then relocate the horn out the way and not sure wheather to run a air duct up to the filter of cut and modify the duct already there? Im not planning on having it too low down. Just enough to get some forced air to it

I'll post some pics up of the fit once i get the pipe [:D]

bimanut

personaly i would like to modify the original duct if its possible.k&n say not to have the end of the air duct any closer than 4 inches to the end of your cone.why im not sure.

pics would be cool

u may be able to put ur filter lower if u use a bypass valve.
AEM makes one for imports and what it does is when the filter gets submerged water can inter the filter and exit the bypass valve without ever gettin water into ur engine.
i have one for mine but its not the correct size and i havent used it.

My airfilter is positioned behind the left fog lamp. I also cut a 2 1/2 inch hole in the side of the brake duct to route air to it. bimanut is correct about the possibility of water entering the air filter. Just means that water fording (any deeper than 3 inches) is something to definately avoid.