HVAC Problem!

I do not use the AC very often. Last week we had a string of 90 degree days and the system worked great, never any problems. Always icy cold! Three years ago I had the control panel fixed due to the known problems with the electronics. Here is what happened. I started the car, system starts, I always shut off. Drove about a mile and the wife said to turn on the ac. I ht the "auto" button, then the compressor button. The fan speed indicator shot to full speed, but no air was coming out of the vents (all open)! Hit compressor button again(off), and a small amount of air came out of the vents! Pushed defrost button, nothing at all! Tried all of the buttons, nothing! I checked the fuses and they appear to be OK. Also, could not feel the compressor kick in. The car has 52k miles. Any ideas as to what it could be or where I should look?
Thanks for any help!

Is this the time of the season for blower problems?! At first I didn't think the compressor was working. It DOES work. At first, while I was in the car I didn't hear it. Looking in the Bentley manual I see there is a Heater/ Blower relay and a resistor pack. Is there a way to determine which is bad or do I just buy the cheapest part first? I would really appreciate some help with this! Thanks!

I was going to suggest that when I first read your post, but since you said you had no compressor, I was a bit confused.

If you DO have the compressor working, then the most likely suspect is the resistor pack. If you have a test meter, you can check for voltage at the resistor pack and motor.

No supply voltage to the resistor pack = bad relay
Voltage to the resistor pack but not the motor = bad resistor pack
Voltage to the motor but no air = bad motor.

Thanks! I'll try those tests and hope I can get it repaired before Saturday. This weekend BMW is sponsoring Bimmerstrasse at Road America, I would like everything to work! Talk about timing!!!!
Thanks again