I Need Help!!

Okay, I'm not going to get too far into detail about my love for BMW's, it's a Love Hate relationship, but I may have a problem. Tonight-Christmas all over again, Batt Light, Then Blast off heat gauge then engine light, in 20 degree weather at 80, maDE IT HOME, about a 5 mile DRIVE, SHUT HER OFF, AND THE SMOKE STARTED TO ROLL. nOW, SEVERAL HOURS AND a FEW cold ones LATER, POP THE HOOD AND FIND THAT THE BELT IS GONE. sO Does the the belt affect the waterpump and can I pull it in the garage, or am i about to find out tomarrow that the belt is the least of my worries after i pay to tow it back to the place. Been having crank sensor problems so i assumed it was just that, which im picking up a new one after having it cleaned up and just plugged back in last week. How do i REPLACE THE BELT, OR CAN I CANK IT OVER NOW AND DRIVE IT TO THE SHOP?????

The belt is easy enough to replace. Wouldn't drive it without. Powers the water pump and the alternator. If I remember correctly, you just nees a 1/4 drive ratchet or breaker bar to move the belt tensioner so you can remove and intsall the belt.

Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it. Just wondering if I can try to start it and just pull it in the garage, or wait for the belt first

When you get the overheating indication, you should STOP the engine immediately, otherwise you risk seriously damaging the engine. You said you got lots of smoke (mighta been steam), doesn't sound good....

same here

I am going through the same problem right now but I had the belt take out my fan and my water pump with it. My belt wasn't going alone it had to bring some friends down too. I didn't even notice it right away till my climate contol was belting out cold air and i had it on 80. Oh well $117 in parts later and the problem will be solved. Just waiting on the parts right now and I can get out of the Pontiac GTP that I'm borrowing from my parents. I hate asking my parents for help.