Is a valve cover gasket a DO-IT-YOURSELF JOB ?

I'm getting oil on the threads of my spark plugs. I've been told I need to replace my valve cover gaskets. I usually do all the maintenance on my car, but I don't know if this one is over my head. Any Advice ??

Tom

Staff Team
The problem with replacing the valve cover is that you need to clear out all the hoses, fuel lines and wires. Additionally you will need to torque the screws back in properly to ensure a good seal.

If you think you can handle that then it shouldnt be too difficult. Also if you have a digi-cam handy it wouldnt hurt to take some engine pictures and use them as a reference for putting everything back together.

Side note: I have known people who when replacing the gasket did not use the proper torque specs to tighten the bolts down and it did it by the seem of his pants...he ended up over torquing a screw and it broke with the threads flush with the head; he ended up having to have someone drill out th broken screw / bolt and rethread it.

Moral: when you do any work with screws /bolts on the engine or suspension (or any where else), make sure you use the torque specs! I could tell you many other horror stories.

But it isn't too difficult. I replaced the valve cover gasket on a 528 recently, and a little word of advice: when removing those six round gaskets for each chamber, if they are rock hard, cut the line that joins them together (they ar in two sets of 3), spray them with a gasket remover, let it sit for ten minutes, then secure the cover upside down, take a gasket scrapper and place it on the rubber bottom of each gasket at an angle and dig the scrapper into the gasket a bit, and then with the rubber hammer, tap it gently until you get it to turn within its place; then they are very easy to remove. That'll make your life so much easier if they are stuck. I didn't realize this method until I wrestled with 2 that were stuck. It made my life a lot easier.

Good luck!
Sean