Key won't start car

lmhester

I need some help. I have a 1996 328i that I bought about 2 years ago. When I got it it came with 2 keys. 1 key would lock and unlock from all the doors, but would not start the car. It will turn it on but not crank. The other key would start the car but would only lock the car from the driver's side and only unlock from the passager's side. It will both lock and unlock from the trunk. Now neither key will start the car. It is stuck in the garage. My questions:

Does the key have a chip? Dealer said know, local shop said it does.
Do you think it is the key or the cylinder? Is there a test? Is the cylinder hard to change?

thanks
Larry

There is no chip. As far as I know, the E36's had a common problem with ignition cylinders, particularily the ones that have heavy keychains stuck in them all the time. Your keys should be an exact match, so there should be no reason one would work in one door and not the other... maybe they just need a good spray of lube. The car not starting could very well have nothing to do with the keys. Could be a bad starter. I don't own a E36, but those are my educated guesses.