koni or bilstein

My rear coil spring cracked and snapped in half yesterday. I am ordering an entire new suspension; the old suspension has got over 140k on it, so I figure, why not do the whole thing at once.

I'm pricing, etc... I'm either going for the koni sport suspension kit or the bilstein; the koni is $730 and the bilstein is approximately $600. Which should I go with? The cheapest stock suspension I could find was approximately $450-550. My driving is not necessarily "racer style." I enjoy the spirited drive and I love hard cornering; is the 730 premium justified?

Also, as far as the rear mounts, it seems that original ones turn to dust; is it worth it to get the turner motorsport 'lifetime warranty' ones or will it detract ride quality?

Would appreciate quick opinions; want to order today or tommorrow so I can install this weekend or next.

THanks, Sean

Big Daddy

Sean I like my Koni's a lot and figure that you cannot go wrong with them. You are talking about $130.00 over the Bilstein setup. I would buy the Koni's but I believe either one will serve you well. I would stick with the stock mounts. I just noticed that Bav Auto has their spring set on sale for your car.

I put Konis on my 94, with H&R springs, and was very happy with the setup. The Konis are adjustable, I don't think the Bilis are adjustable.

The rears are easy to do, the biggest challenge might be a frozen bolt. The fronts are more work.

I'm going with the koni set-up. I'm just getting the koni suspension kit; it has the smallest drop, and to be honest I don't want any drop. But 20mm in the back and 40mm in the front won't be that bad.

I'm definitely replacing the RSMs, but I didn't know whether I should spend the extra $$ for the metal all metal ones. I found OE mounts on autohausaz.com for 12.50 each. I thought that was cheap, if any one else needs those, just thought you guy might like to know.

And Frolf, I just got the spring pads for the rear from the dealer; $10.80 a piece; eh. And mine where 10mm, so I'm hoping that when all is said and done, it won't look like a drop at all.

good choice, those pads should be about perfect. you will know what i'm talking about once it's all said and done, but 15mm pads were sort of a mistake for me. the rear end was so low because of an old suspension.

as for RSMs, i did a rubber bushing with a metal guide sleeve all the way through (a thick one) opposed to stock and also opposed to polyurethane.

Take a look at the Rogue Engineering RSM. I put these on the 94, it's a rubber bushing but with a totally "blowout proof" designed aluminum mounting hardware setup. Slightly firmer than stock, a lot stronger, and not harsh like a poly bushing.

I already ordered the RSMs; the Sachs-Boge; hopefully they will last for awhile.

All parts ended up costing me a total of $899.91 (I hope this chart might help someone else). I'm posting my 'research' and spreadsheet.

Part Price (ea) Quantity Total Price Shipping Website / Source
Spring Pad - Front - Lower $4.95 2 $9.90 $5.95 www.bavauto.com
Spring Pad - Front - Upper $4.95 2 $9.90 Free www.bavauto.com
Spring Pad - Rear - Lower $11.34 2 $22.68 N/A BMW of Towson
Spring Pad - Rear - Upper $11.34 2 $22.68 N/A BMW of Towson
Strut Dust Sleeve - Front $0.98 2 $1.96 $6.37 socalmotorsports.com
Strut Dust Sleeve - Rear $3.52 2 $7.04 Free socalmotorsports.com
Strut Mount - Front - Sachs $29.27 2 $58.54 Free www.autohausaz.com
Strut Mount - Rear - Gasket $0.42 2 $0.84 Free www.autohausaz.com
Shock Mount - Rear - Sachs $12.50 2 $25.00 Free www.autohausaz.com
Koni Sport Suspension Kit $719.95 1 $719.95 $9.00 soloperformance.com

Any other pointers on install. Although, first I need to get my parents 528i running to get it out of the garage. If anyone has thoughts on the 528i (1997), please help... won't turn over; new battery.

And thanks for all the suggestions and help guys! I knew I could depend on this board.

Part Price (each) Quantity Total Price Shipping Website
Spring Pad - Front - Lower $4.95 2 $9.90 $5.95 www.bavauto.com
Spring Pad - Front - Upper $4.95 2 $9.90 Free www.bavauto.com
Spring Pad - Rear - Lower $11.34 2 $22.68 Free BMW of Towson
Spring Pad - Rear - Upper $11.34 2 $22.68 Free BMW of Towson
Strut Dust Sleeve - Front $0.98 2 $1.96 $6.37 www.socalmotorsports.com
Strut Dust Sleeve - Rear $3.52 2 $7.04 Free www.socalmotorsports.com
Strut Mount - Front - Sachs $29.27 2 $58.54 Free www.autohausaz.com
Strut Mount - Rear - Gasket $0.42 2 $0.84 Free www.autohausaz.com
Shock Mount - Rear - Sachs $12.50 2 $25.00 Free www.autohausaz.com
Koni Sport Suspension Kit $719.95 1 $719.95 $9.00 www.soloperformance.com