Manual Tranny

O.K. Well I replaced the clutch and it is o.k., but now the tranny is hard to put in 1st, 2nd is somewhat difficult. 3rd - 5th are o.k. My mechanic tore the clutch back out and checked everything and by the "numbers" as he put it is all great. Also wanted to add that he did not charge me to do that.

So I am looking into replacing the tranny or rebuilding. It did not do this before, but I may have damaged the internal alignment while taking it out and putting it back in. My question is what is the best way to approach? Are the rebuild kits for these or should I get a junk tranny? Also are trannies interchageable between the 328 and 325 for example?

[rolleyes]

Since you had the tranny out, are you sure that it's not just the shift linkage binding? Check that first!!

Try putting synthetic auto tranny fluid in it like Mobil 1 or Redline. Many people report smoother shifting after doing this.

epj3

REDLINE atf is not the best atf you can buy - try to find royal purple synchromax, it is much smoother IMO.

Right now (for the summer) I'm running 1 quart of redline MTL and whatever is left over was redline ATF. Smooth as hell in the summer but i'll have to change back for the winter!

Well I do not know. My mech put in the best stuff you can get. I can try that though. He is specialized in BMW, plus he has his own. 325 i think. As far as linkage it is good. I will do a fluid swap this weekend hopefully and let you know how it does.

Well he put the Redline in. So I know the fluid is good.

Let me ask you this...is it possbile to have too much throw? I noticed while slowing down to a stop, I pushed the clutch in a little over halfway, rpms went down and it shifted a lot smoother. Upon take off from 1st to 2nd it was again smoother. Is too much throw possible?

epj3

SigEp259 said:
Well he put the Redline in. So I know the fluid is good.

Let me ask you this...is it possbile to have too much throw? I noticed while slowing down to a stop, I pushed the clutch in a little over halfway, rpms went down and it shifted a lot smoother. Upon take off from 1st to 2nd it was again smoother. Is too much throw possible?
I'm not sure what you mean by "throw," usually throw when talking about a gearbox means how far the shifter moves (ie the throw is decreased when you add a short shifter.) But, yes it's possible. Your synchronizers are working a bit better now, so that is what you're feeling.

I think you are saying it shifts harder if you push the clutch all the way in, and it seems to shift smoother if you push the clutch halfway?