mileage

mitty33

on average how long do e36 318's last before they fall apart????
some people tell me that they can go to 200,000+ and others tell me the opposite. im really confused. could someone give me an honest anwser plzzzz. i really need it. cheers.

it is a 1995, 318 and has 150,000 on the clock.

Several qualifying questions, and then some vague answers:

Are you referring to Miles or Km? Your location could be either US or European, so I find it advisable to ask first.
Is your car an automatic or manual?

Vague answers:
It really depends; if the car was serviced correctly and not driven terribly rough, then I can fathom a 318 lasting 200,000miles+. If the car was abused, redlined everyday, driven through the worst weather, not serviced at proper intervals, then I could imagine just around 200,000 or a little less.
Also, there are certain preventative mantainence steps that should be taken. Some people chose to ignore these; ignoring them might lead to other problems, etc. It really depends on proper mantainence.
Also the automatics are not as sturdy as the rest of the car; there have been many people who complained about replacing the tranny after 100,000miles or around 150,000miles. If you have a manual, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Personally, I have a 1995 318is and it has over 130k on it now. I've driven it for the last 40k-45k miles, and I haven't had a major problem. My thermostat failed and my MAF boot ripped; that's it. I just do the Inspection I & II and oil changes on time, and things are smooth.

Enjoy!
Sean