Need opinion on 1993 325i I considering

sky

Hello this is my first post.

I've read a lot of the info on this board and tried to educate myself as much as possible.

I've found a 1993 325i from a dealer. It has 79,000 miles and is in very good condition. Exerior only has couple of very minor door paint marks like you get in a parking lot. Interior is perfect.

Car fax shows an accident (no air bag) but took it to a local BMw shop who is supposed to be very knowleable. The said the accident must have been minor because they couldn't find any sign of repair and certainly nothing bent. They found the front brakes were 20%, and a few minor other things but nothing major.

The car feels good and tight and not like a car that old.

The dealer wants $6900 for it. The mechanic thought it was worth $5000-5500. I've done a lot of checking but anything I found below $6000 had at least double the mileage and some were still asking $6000 or more. they were maybe a year or two newer but had a lot more miles...and besides they were 50 or more miles away and the one I'm looking at is local.

Maybe if I waited a long time I could get a steal but when I add up my time and hassle to keep looking maybe $6900 is an ok price for this car. Of course I would try to get it for less but I don't want to pass on a good solid car like this one seems to be.

This would be a 2nd fun car for the wife and me. I wouldn't be putting a lot of miles on it so I think it would give me years of pleasure.

What do you think?

Thanks. Sky

I think 6900 is too steep, even for a fun car. The car is 14 years old and you are going have to do some repairs due to age alone. 79k miles is nice and low, but still $6900 is bit too much. ALSO the car has been in a reported accident! The dealer is pricing the car at perfect retail price; the car is NOT perfect; been in an accident, paint has minor flaws, etc.
The accident alone will drop the value of the car. I think you're mechanic's estimate of the car is pretty fair. I honestly would not pay more than $5,700 for it; but to each there own

Also, you want to make sure the water pump has been replaced (probably has with 79k miles), and you would
Also, if it's an automatic, bear in mind these autos tend to give way anywhere from 120k-170k.

Good luck!

sky

Thanks. I think my limit for this car would be $6,000. Pretty close to you top at $5700. I see so many of them around town as I drive around, its' surprising that there aren't more for sale.

The car has also turned out to be more of a need not just a fun car. We just had a car die and I'll have another kid return from college in a few weeks. We will have 4 drivers and only 2 cars until I get another one.

What's also a surprise is that if car like this is worth $5000-5500, searches on Craigs lists and other places show so many of that vintage (maybe a year or 2 newer) with 140,000 miles plus for sale $6,000 or higher.

Maybe it's a Calif thing :)

Sky

Last edited:
Right, bear in mind that people tend to ask a lot more for their cars than they are likely to get (even me [:)] ), so often it's best to make an offer that is polite but hardnosed. if it's rejected then you can always raise it.
good luck.