New Member of San Diego Chapter

Kerstin

I am the pround new owner of a 1996 BMW 328i Convertible that has been a lot of fun to drive in the past six months. I've had some problems opening the top that has required me to help a little by hand, but I've learned to live with that.
For the past four weeks, it seems that the top is rattling quite a bit, in particular on the passenger side near the windows. The windows themselves are not loose and when I slightly open the rear passenger window, the noise stops. My [rolleyes] question is: Is the top loose or is something wrong with the passenger windows? The rattling is really annoying. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Help...

Kerstin

No, there is no hole and the noise is better or non-existant once the window is opened.
Throughout this week, the window on the driver side has now started to rattle as well.
Someone will look at this next week Thursday. My own suspicion is that the motor for the top might be loose (has happened before), which throws of the balance of the entire frame of the top... we'll see what happens; I'll know more on 12/21/06.