Given the query in the initial po

• Replace now

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Replace when it throws a code

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Drive it till 150k miles, then replace it

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
I have a brand new O2 sensor sitting in my garage. My car is running fine (knockwood); however the O2 sensor has never been replaced and I'm hitting 140k miles. I can't bring myself to replace it because I don't seem to have any problems with the original one. I know they're supposed to be replaced every 60k-100k; but so far this one has not needed a replacement.
Does it probably need replacing and it's just that I cannot recognize that the part is worn? SHould I just replace the damn thing since I have a new one? Should I wait until it starts causing problems before replacing? I'm not sure what do to, and I really do not want to throw away a perfectly good, perfectly functioning O2 sensor.
Thanks, Sean

Every mechanic I've spoken to says leave them alone until they give you a code. However, some claim it will improve your mileage. I know when they go bad, your mileage will go to pot. My advice is to wait for a code. Others will surely disagree.

It's probably OK, and it should throw a code when it starts to fail big time. BUT if it is slowly "drifting" out of calibration, it may not throw a code for a while, and it could reduce your mileage a bit.

Also, if you replace it now, you're good for another 100K miles. Do you think you will still have this car then? You've already bought it, so unless you plan on replacing it again in the future, you're not saving any $$ by trying to stretch the life of the old one.

Simple answer? If you are satisfied with your mileage, wait. If you think your mileage is suffering now, replace it.

Mileage is good. Always over 400 miles. Does stretching it out do any damage to the engine.
I plan on keeping the car until 400k Miles... so, I want to keep it in tiptop shape.