Power Seat stuck

pcy

Hello,

Hoping someone can help me what to do with the following problem...

Passenger seat motor (that moves the seat front to back) quit working.
The seat was moved all the way to the front. So, the 2 bolts (in the front)
that hold the seat are not accessible.

Took it to the dealer; dealer quoted $600 to replace the motor.
I said no thanks. I don't mind the motor not working. I just want
the seat to be moved to middle position. Anyway to move the seat?

any other thoughts?

thanks in advance
pcy

id try to manually move the shaft of the motor but thatd be hard as well. just cut legs of the people in you car a few inches [idea]

also are you positive your motor is dead? i thought mine(all of them) were and cut the wires coming out of the motor and directly hooked them to the battery, the switch was faulty.

pcy

Manuel,

Yes, I am positive, the motor is dead. I connected wires directly
from battery. Furthermore, the dealer diagnosed it to be "dead motor"
as well. I paid $120 for the diagnostics. Dealer quote to replace
the motor is $600. I would rather not pay $600. I can live with
non-movable seat, if I can just move it to the middle position.

Anyone else attempted seat motor removal/repair ?

pcy

pcy

Update on the "Power seat stuck"
Remember my problem was that the seat was stuck all the way forward;
hence, couldn't remove the front two bolts that hold the seat in place.

Disconnected the battery negative cable. Removed the seat cushion, removed the 4 torx screws that hold the plastic seat bottom, disconnected bunch of cables. Now, I am able to see the motor and the shafts that connect to the mechanism. I was able to manually rotate the shafts (on either side of the motor).
So, I sat there and rotated the shafts... the seat SLOWLY moved back. I moved the seat to mid point. As someone else suggested, I tapped on the motor with a mallet. I connected back all connectors; put back the plastic seat bottom and the cushion. Connected the battery.

To may surprise, the "supposedly dead" motor is working fine. The seat now moves forward and back fine. May be it's a miracle..... nah !!

pcy

Forgot to say the following:

manuel, thank you for the info. I think tapping on the motor is what
fixed it. Big THANKS !!

bimwad,

"This sunday I removed the cushions and the lower tray on both my front seats, basically trying to get rid of a bad squeaking noise. I actually had it taken care, by applying a think layer of WED$). I would have used silicone, but There is none on my closet at this point.

To remove the cushion you need to pry it off. I started in the back , working towards the front. there are 4 black plastic pieces, about 2 inches long, that connect the cushion to the base of the seat. that is what you need to squeze out of there. Look underneath the seat and you will actually see what I am talking about.

After removing the cushions, you will need a torx bit ( I think T50) to remove 4 screws and remove the plastic base of the seat. Note that the base will not come completely out as the cables are going trough some holes on it, but it moves enough to work underneath it.

DO it at your own risk. I ended up with one of the black plastic pieces broken.

Hope it helps. Good Luck.

Mauricio Feijo"

Very Helpfull

You guys REALLY helped me... I had the exact thing happening to me - I moved the seat all the way forward to clean underneath, and then it quit. It made a clicking sound, but would not go back or forth... it would move up and down, however. I did exactly what was suggested, but I did figure out a much easier way to get the job done besides taking the whole seat apart. Since the seat still moves up and down (which makes sense because that motion would always be happening less often between drivers), just move the seat up where you can easily reach underneath it from behind. Then, just take the handle of a screw driver and hit the motor about 20-30 times and vwah-lah... the seat moves back and forth again. Thanks a bunch, you saved me hundreds.

aaron