Power Steering

Hey all; I have a small problem, I hope, that I wanted to get some info on. I was driving down the freeway yesterday and when I pulled off and into a parking lot I realized I lost my power steering. I checked under the car and saw a hose hanging there, which should have been attached to the tie rods(?). My question is whether I just need to replace this line or whether not having any fluid might have damaged something else. Any info or experience is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

It's possible that the pump could be damaged (worn seals or worse) by running with no fluid. Depends on how long it ran dry. A few miles, probably no damage, but I'm just guessing.

Thanks Kirby, I was talking with a couple people and they mentioned that unless the pump is lubricated by the fluid, which I dont think it is, it shouldnt be a problem. Guess I will just change the hose.

Big Daddy

The pump "is" lubricated by the fluid, that is why Kirby mentioned possible worn seals, etc if run extended periods without fluid. I would change the line and flush the system. Than run the pump stop to stop and if it performs with no squealing it should be fine. Best of luck...