Price opinion on a 94' 325 4dr plz

Hello All,

I am new to your boards but old hat in other car forums. About a month ago I was looking for another car to purchase and I ran across a 95' 318i 4dr 5spd w/ 132k listed for $3,000. I shown the listing to my gf and she decided she wants it. Which was ok because I wasn't really looking to buy a beemer at the time. We ended up purchacing it for $2,700. I thought it was a pretty good buy. However there will be work needed. It needs a starter, A/C compressor, and a paint job (doesn't NEED it but could use one). My father and I are well mechanically knowledgable (not bmw specific but we should figure things out) plus dad does autobody and painting. So painting is no real hassel/expense. I was very impressed with the car mechanically. It handled better and have more pep then I expected it to have. Never drove a bmw before. So now I am looking to buy one for myself.

To the point!!

I found a 1994 4dr 325i w/ 190k listed for $5,000. First off, $5k is already too much for this car. New items put on the car include: (copied and pasted from original listing).

New Bilstein Shocks
New Shock Hardware and Mounts (Front and Rear)
New Spark Plugs
New Water Pump
New Belts
New Cooling Hoses
New Valve Cover Gasket
1999 BMW Wheels (Profesionally Straightened)
New Kumho Tires (16" Ecsta SPT)
Hakkapeliitta Winter Tires
New Radiator
New Aluminum Thermostat Housing
New Thermostat
New Filters (Air, Fuel, A/C and of course Oil)
New Windshield
New Tie Rod Ends and Bushings
Alignment
Seat Covers (Drivers Seat in poor condition)
New Fog Lights

The bad: the lister says the A/C needs recharged but it may need a new compressor like my gf's (who knows). He/she also mentioned it could use a paint job. And of course the 190k engine.

Ran a Kelly Blue Book and Edmunds report for private party:
KBB = $3,805
Edmunds = $2,531

What a differece!! So the average between the two = $3168

So what do you guys recommend for a negotiation price? I'm thinking around $3,000 - $3,200. The seller's asking $5,000 so I don't know he/she'll go for it. I think I'll wait awhile before proposing a price. Let the ad age awhile.

My main concern is obviously replacing the engine soon. How many miles do these engines typically get before dying? I've been pricing rebuilt 325s and finding around $3,500 for one. I could find an 'El Cheapo' junk yard engine and have it rebuilt for less. Any recommendations on this as well?

So the inevitale question: Should I persue this car or let it ride?

Thanks Guys

DM