Replace OBC lights? Or entire OBC?

ronopolis

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I don't see the answer around. I own a '96 328i. My son is looking at buying at... well, his own '96 328i. He will see it tomorrow. Current owner said the OBC is "flakey" or "the display is flakey", something like that. My questions are:

1) If it is just the lights that are flakey, isn't that fairly easy to repair yourself. In a different BMW board I saw a thread that said this was easy to fix.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289381&highlight=obc

2) If the OBC is truly messed up, and he my son wants to replace it, roughly how much will this cost? $400? $1000?

Anyone have any real world experience with changing the bulbs, or the entire OBC?

Thanks, rjv

Big Daddy

Are you taking about the On Board Computer or the dash lights? The OBC is about $600.00 and to my knowledge only has one bulb. Here is a photo of the OBC from the BMW parts catalog:

Is this it or am I confused?

ronopolis

I was talking about the OBC, and its light. So I think you answered my question -- if it is just the OBC light, then he can replace that one bulb, and if it is a flakey OBC itself, then he's talking $600+. Thanks.