Resetting radio anti theft code

skookum8

I have a 93 318 with the factory am/fm cassette radio. Just had the battery replaced and with that the antitheft code needs to be repunched in. Unfortunately the display doesn't work and when I punch in the correct code, the radio does not seem to accept it. Since I can't read the display, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

So for those of you who have done reentered their antitheft code, is there any other button to punch in other than the 5 digit code, before or after the code?

Thanks

No no other buttons. You just have to wait an hour when you insert the code incorrectly 3 times. So be careful next time. Fully turn OFF your radio for an hour, than turn back ON and insert the code corretly. It should work.

skookum8

Thanks guys that worked. On the idea of replacing the radio, how hard is it? Looking at the Crutchfield web site, it says that its relatively easy. Any sense of what that involves?

you need a wire harness and an antenna adpater. i got both from a local electronics shop for about $7 each.

the factory deck was simple to remove (a screw on each side of the deck - just pop off the small black covers over them.) and my new deck was quite simple to slip in.

if you don't use a harness you are going to have to cut a lot of wires and that could be time
consuming and messy.

it wasn't too hard to change though.

you cant get it. to reset the code feature, which requires disconnecting the battery, disconnect the battery, wait for the alarm to shut off/stop going off, and reconnect it. turn the key to position 1. a timer will appear counting down from 10 minutes. after the times goes out, you should be able 2 start the engine. this may require repeating if it doesn't work the 1st time.

ddustin

turn the key to position 1. a timer will appear counting down from 10 minutes. after the times goes out, you should be able 2 start the engine.
If you unplug the battery you can clutch-start the car. The 10 minute timer will still show up, but you can drive away immediately.