The hits keep on coming!

junglestylz

1000 Post Club
It's been a while since I have been on here, so first off, How is everybody doing? Hopefully well. Let's get this rolling. My E36 325is is first. The car runs great, until you get over 50-55 MPH. Then like Emeril "BAM" it shifts into 4th gear, and will not come out unless I turn the car off for a couple of seconds. It leads me to believe that it is a tranny module problem. Anyone have any ideas??? This of course is not an immediate problem considering the fact that I hydroplaned the other day and clipped a median blowing out both drivers side tires, and completely thrashing the front driverside wheel. Any help would be appreciated.

Hey! Welcome back! If I remember correctly, you were overseas for a while?

So it will stay in 5 "indefinitely" unless you go over 50 - 55 mph? If so, that does sound more like a control problem, rather than a mechanical problem. Hmm, don't have an answer, but I'm curious enough to look at the Bentley electrical diagram tonight, see if it provides any clues...

So it shifts into 4th (high gear) and will not downshift?

I assume you tried flooring it to activate the kickdown switch?

There are ALOT of signals going to the transmission computer. Could be the tranny computer, could also be a bad sensor sending a bogus signal. But if I had to guess, I would say it's a bad tranny computer. Even if one sensor is bad, there are so many sensors going to the computer, you would think they could still sense a the need to downshift.

Tough one to troubleshoot.....yeah, I know it's not much help.....