Thinking of Buying 318i...NEED INPUT

EuroNut

I'm new to this forum as I'm a SAAB owner. However, I have always dreamed of owning my very own BMW! The opportunity has finally allowed me to pursue my dream car, but before I buy, I want to know what it is that I'm getting myself into...

If any of you are familiar with SAAB, you know that they come with a lot of problems (that we SAAB owners call "quirks"). What are some common problems among the BMW 318 and 328s?

Don't worry, you won't scare me...I just did a complete engine replacement in my '99 9-3!

Thanks!

For the most part, I think these cars are pretty much bullet-proof. Look down the list of recent problems people have posted on the E36 part of this forum... they're mostly just little whiney problems that aren't even worth asking about. The 318i is slow. The 328i is very fast in comparison. Common problems; rear shock mounts ($30 each, installs very easily)... Other than that, these things go forever. Everthing that is rubber (bushings and mounts should be replaced, hoses and belts should be replaced as well). Ignition coils (one for each cylinder) like to crap out. It's a car, they all have quirks. Parts fail. I've never noticed a difference in failing parts from a Pontiac (for example) to a BMW, to a VW. They all have things go wrong with them.

assuming there is an onboard computer, make sure it is working, so that if there are any engine checks etc. they will be visible. there are many antismog devices and sensors in E36's and it can be a pain to get them tracked down and fixed (and paid for).
check every single electronic control -- every window control, lights inside and out. check for all pixels good in OBC, and dash lights all working. ensure all doors lock and unlock with both keys and switches.
if you are looking at a convertible i could give some more suggestions.
don't worry, though, once you get one you'll never go back.