thinner head gasket.. any gain?

titan74

I am planning to replace my head gasket with a thinner one from the oem, hoping to increase compression ratio.. is there any noticeable gain from doing these?.. what is the original thickness of the gasket for the m44?.. thnx

Believe it or not, a thinner head gasket can add .25 to .5 to the compression ratio, such as going from 8.5 to 9.0. Not a lot, but it is enough to add a few hp IF everything else is set up correctly. You also have to be certain that a thinner head gasket will not cause the valves to hit the piston.

Sorry, can't help you with the speicifics of your engine, I have never tried this on a BMW, only on go-cart engines!

Yeah, agreed, usually this only makes sense if other mods are being done to the engine as a planned build up, like rods, pistons, intake, etc.

titan74

i see, so there must be a minimum size decrease here. I am eyeing for the one sold at VACMotorsports. There is actually a need to replace the existing head gasket soon due to wear, so I just thought Ill put in this config. thnx for the insights