Which E36 to buy

My Wife wants a Bimmer, and I definetly want to score one. After several discussions over cervesas, it seems the E36 is the choice. Question is: what was the last year for OBDI diagnostics,1995?

Let us know your thoughts...Thanks! Dave

95 is the last year for OBD I. A couple years ago my 96 failed the OBD II emissions inspection and I was told I needed a whole new exhaust system. I was livid when my mechanic told me. But a few days later my car passed inspection at the same shop. Maybe it had something to do with me being a good customer. I don't care, it's passed ever since....

Only thing is 96 was the first year for the 328i which has a little bit more power than the 325i.

I know E36s have a rep for being somewhat unreliable but mine's been good to me. Just about to flip 200,000 miles. Only major component not original is the clutch which lasted 177,000 miles.

Big Daddy

I like the E36's, however I have never owned one. I have numerous friends that have and they have had great success with them. I think though that I would get an OBDII model.