help with wheels

ok well i have a couple different options. i have a 1999 323is with M-package, and am looking for new, lighter, bigger wheels. i can get 18's which would be 300 a piece, but the thing im concerned about is that the tires have to be 35's and that might be too thin. they are also 9.0 wide which is good. or i can get 17x8.5's for the front and 17x9's in the rear for 50 and 40 dollars less and the tires are a lil beter at 40. which do you think i should get? thanks for your help.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=LTW5-WHEEL

noone wants to help me? i guess this forum isnt wat it used to be.

Or perhaps a lot of us had other things going on and haven't checked in since you posted, less than 24 hours ago.

Copping an attitude and dissing the board after waiting only 20 hours is just childish and stupid, so nope, I will not bother to comment on your wheel options since it is clearly not appreciated.

Or perhaps a lot of us had other things going on and haven't checked in since you posted, less than 24 hours ago.

Copping an attitude and dissing the board after waiting only 20 hours is just childish and stupid, so nope, I will not bother to comment on your wheel options since it is clearly not appreciated.
ha um ok. first of all i wasnt dising anything i was clearly stating an opion, and it seems to me that caling people names such as childish are well um childish in fact. oh and it seems to me u did comment on the topic.

Big Daddy

Nope, they had drag and kart races this weekend. I was just relaxing with friends, dining, and enjoying life. A side note, I think you owe Kirby and apology, he is very knowledgeable and informative. I would go with the 17's. When you get down to 35's you have a thin sidewall and risk wheel damage on potholes, etc.

I like your idea BUT the low profile makes me (speciallly in south jersey) pause to think due to road conditions bending rims on all my buddies rides.45 and 50 are the least in my area unless you are very careful just my 2Cents

ya its hard to find good wheels for my car. when i say good i mean fit, look good, and most importantly are lightweight. if anyone has any suggestions please share.

as long as the offset is right you should be able to get 8.5" wheels up front, check with tire rack to confirm the right size, but i think with that size you wheel you can put 235 and 245 width tires on, with my new suspension 235's fit well, i think i may get touch going lock to lock with 245's, but have never put them on before..... lets just say if the tires still look flush (and don't have any lame "euro" roll to them) i would do 235's in front and at least 245's in back, 255's if you can squeeze 'em

thanks. but i need a very important question answered now. how much gap is there right now in between my wheel and fender? in mm cuz the wheels i hav been looking at have about 9mm more clearance than stock on the inside but extend anywhere from 19mm-34mm on the outside?

how much of a dif does it make from ur stock 7's? especially in the front is it more difficult to turn? also i jus thought of. would that speed up ware and tare in the rack and pinion?

not much difference in difficulty of turning, there is much more being communicated through the wheel with wider, stickier tires. i'm not really worried about my rack and pinion, as long as it stays lubricated i can't see tire size/dimension making a big difference. if it crapped out i'd be excited to be honest, a great opportunity to upgrade

For starters do NOT stagger them.

I've had both 17s and 18s on my car. I'll admit my car is much mroe attractive on the 18s and gives it much more of an aggressive look. Based on how light those wheels are i'd say jsut go for the 18s and you will not be disappointed. California has a lot less potholes than many parts of the nation. Enjoy the 18s and don't regret going for it.

Although go with unstaggered.