Still overheating!!!

I posted a while back that my ride was still overheating and I changed EVERY major coolant component. I recently changed the cap due to it locking up and pissing the coolant out. Now, my gripe is that its sitting a hair over the mid marker and there is no air in that cooling system at all. I did notice that when I go to warm her up in the mornings and I have the heat on it doesn't come up until I start driving. Now I know what you are thinking......heater solenoid right? Changed that already and still having same problem. Maybe on of you guys can shed some light.

Thermostat
Fan clutch
Radiator
Heater Solenoid

Those were the things I changed and ofcourse there are no leaks at all...HELP!!!

I had a radiator in there that I thought was going out and I replaced it so I know that's not the problem. I changed everything on that car that has to do with the cooling system. At this point I am stunned......

E36 Water pumps use plastic blades and are known to fail, the blades break off. This might be your problem. This could explain why you get no heat until you drive - little or no water would be pumped through the heater core at idle. And then at driving speeds the engine heats up but not enough water is being pumped thru the radiator to cool the engine.

And just to ask the obvious - when you say it's overheating, is it really overheating (i.e. pressure cap blows, runs bad, etc.) or is it running OK and ONLY the temp gauge is high? If so, could be a bad gauge or temp sender.

yeah its it running ok but the temp gauge is slightly above the half marker. I do have a metal pump (3rd or 4th one) in mine. where can i find the temp sensor and would that have an effect on me not getting any heat while the car is being warmed up in the mornings? i think the temp gauge inside the car is ok because it was pissy cold this morning and it was on dead center on the way in to work

I have owned 2 E36's and on both the temp gauge would be a "tick" above middle, thats normal. As for no heat in the morning until driving, this to seems to be normal as well. Our cars are meant to warm-up under load, not exessive load, but driving her under 3000RPM during warm-up is how it's supposed to be done. Letting it idle to operating temp is bad.. Maybe I read your original post worng, but from what I discearned these are normal characteristics

i know you've said that there is no air trapped in the system, but it took me a good 3 days of bleeding to finally get my old 325 back to normal temps after changing the w/p and stat.

I had a talk with my neighbor, he has a 1992 325is and a 1997 M3 and he says the temp gauge is always at the middle on both of his cars.
Btw, The temp gauge on my car stays at the middle when I'm driving so I think it's normal.

there is a heater solenoid that is responsible for the heat and it's located to the lower left of the brake master cylinder. that should open to get the heat turning over in the heater core when you turn the fan on inside. flyinH i know what you mean about bleeding it out...i have bled it on many occasions and i know when there is air in the system....if you warm the car up and turn it off, then turn it back on, the temp gauge will rise, then lower to normal temp but mine doesn't do it. i am just concerned about the summer where it gets real warm in Ga. I will keep watching it and see if anything changes. It is really cold right now so I won't really see what is going on until it warms up a little here

Mine does the same too, just a hair to the right of the center mark. Also for those who change things like the pump, fan, fan clutch and anything else that requires lifting up on the fan shroud, be sure that you put that small "water hose" coming from the radiator to the expansion tank behind that retainer clip or the fan will eat through it and you will loose coolant quickly. I learned the hard way, lost most of the coolant while coming home from a long trip.

the car is supposed to run EXACTLY in the center of the gauge. it was running that way when i bought it and it just drives me nuts seeing it past the center hairs. there has got to be a factor why it is over the marker

I looked at this on Sunday (had, to broke my radiator neck!) From the driver's normal viewing position, mine runs just a hair above dead center. If you look at it straight on, it is perfectly centered.

You said you changed every major component, I assume that means the thermostat was changed. If so, it could be opening at a slightly higher temperature.

At any rate, it just doesn't matter. You're obsessing over a 1 or 2 degree difference.

Agreed, you are gonna create more problems for yourself obsessing. Several people have verified that the normal position is a tick above middle..