Still overheating!!!

Thanks Kirby and all the others that had some input on the issue. Hopefully this will help everyone that has an e36 with cooling problems. I can officially say I'm an expert on e36's now. I guess it's time for me to start my RX-7 turbo 2 project car

sure do, and i have tried both. the thermostat wasn't the problem, it was a clogged radiator and kinked return line hose that FINALLY fixed it. There were more issues with it but all major parts were replaced during the troubleshooting.

ahhhhh...just a question.! It seems to me that damn near everything to do with your cooling system has been "checked", "replaced" or looked at..What does the oil look like..are there any indications of moisture on the dipstick when you look at it..maybe a headgasket leak???? and what Kirby sez, is the only way to test a thermostat...ever!!!!

the oil looks fine. there were no indications that the head was blown. I was told that the head was warped and I wasn't surprised. It overheated so many times that it just may have warped it. No indications of moisture or anything in the oil which left me baffled about the whole thing. Thermostat was also tested prior to them putting it in my car and they drilled a hole in the top to ensure there was no air in the system.

Glad you managed to sort out the overheating issue on your car. I have the same problem with my 1993 e36 325i coupe. The needle sits very slightly over the half-way mark and it annoys me. I have been told not to worry but it just isn't running correctly in my opinion. The car has had a new thermostat and water pump.

Please can you confirm that your overheating issue has stopped and if so do you think it was solely due to the radiator being clogged? I notice you changed most parts and the head gasket. You mentioned a new radiator before so I was wondering if you can be sure it was the radiator. Where does the temp needle sit now?
I hope to get my radiator checked out fairly soon and hope you can provide an insight into what the real issue turned out to be.

[burnout]

Before we go any further, let me know how many miles you have and what has already been replaced. The radiator was replaced (NOT OEM) and the return line hose was also replaced. My mech told me there was a kink in the hose and I can picture how that would reduce flow of coolant back to the reservoir. He also did a complete drain and flush and stated that there were "things" in the block that contributed to the radiator being clogged. He said it sits below the half mark with the air on and in hot ass Atlanta weather. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow from his shop and drive it up and about and let you know the results. If things look good, you may find me in TX this weekend.

325ie36man

Mileage is 120k. Has had a new thermostat, waterpump and fan cowling fitted by a BMW main dealer at 110k. I was concerned by the needle sitting very slightly past the half mark and slight pinging/pinking under load so I had the coolant flushed and replaced ealier this week. The coolant drained out was clear blue and had no sludge or bits which suggests the radiator was not blocked. The needle still settled just past the half mark after the coolant change.
I ended up taking it to my local BMW main dealer a few days ago. After checking out the car for a whole day they informed me that the car had nothing wrong with it and was running fine! Furthermore they confirmed there were no fault codes. The car was taken on a long drive by their technician and he could not find any problems and also said the pinging was something these engines were designed to do (M50 325i with Vanos) until the knock sensors do their job and the timing is adjusted! Strange but nevertheless I had to accept the explanation from BMW. They didn't suggest any overheating issues either.
I still think something is not right.. [scratch]

I know EXACTLY how you feel. What I would do is check and see if the return line on top of the radiator is kinked in any way. Do you lose coolant? if so, how much and how often do you have to refill? It may be a slight warp with the head. Mine had that problem. 227k miles later it's running ok but I wouldn't dare take it on a long distance trip. My brother bought a 00 323i last week and there is no way I can have my little brother drive a nicer beemer than the guy that introduced it to him so it may be time to ///M up

Gents, after all the money spent on my cooling system, the heater core was the issue. There was nothing left to change and it was forgotten about. I haven't driven the car in about 8 months but I know it's working now. I picked up a 00 540i today